Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Barrel Drum BBQ Pit (Charcoal)

I decided to try this project after seeing so many other examples of it on the web. The thing about doing this here in Malaysia is that it can be quite costly as most of the parts are not locally produced. The most expensive part of the pit are the grill plates, which set me back about RM160 as they cost RM80 a piece.




















The drum costs only RM40, but the scary part about this is that I don't know what was in it before. The drum supplier could not tell me either as they get their drums from all over. I bought it anyways after making sure it had no weird odors.

The hardest part of this project would be the cutting of the drum. Since I did not have an arc torch, I got it cut at a nearby workshop instead. All I did was draw the intended portion to be cut, and they did the rest.

Once that was done, I installed the L-braces for the grill plate to rest on, and added an additional metal bar in the middle for extra stability. I also added hinges to the plate to act as a lid to my pit. I had no welder with me, so all these were done using traditional nuts and bolts to secure.

The stand I used is a simple scissors type structure which was carried over from my previous bbq grill.




















I also had the inside of the drum sprayed with a high-temperature paint to prevent corrosion. I got this paint at Ace Hardware.




















Here is the final product:
























Do you have your own version of a barrel drum bbq pit? Share it with me by posting the link on the comments. Thanks for viewing!

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Ever thought of doing a gas version? Indirect heat/flame (Coz direct fire from gas is poisonous)

    Buzz me an email man, hear from you soon
    Jason Hue (allskoolguru@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... can't believe I missed your comment. Wonder why blogger didn't notify me. Anyways, I have thought of doing a gas version, but not sure of which burner to use. I was thinking of using the one they used for the kueh kapit stove, but not sure if they can stand the heat. A gas version will definitely be much better as you can control the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I wanna ask where did you get ur barrel from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out:
      http://www.barrelanddrum.com/contact/index.htm

      Delete
    2. did you just walk in to buy a barrel or did you have to preorder?

      Delete
    3. I called them before hand and just went over to pick it up. No need to preorder.

      Delete
  4. Where did you buy your grill plates??

    ReplyDelete