Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Renaming Personal Folders in Outlook

I tend to backup my Outlook PST files in the past, back when free email service providers tend to limit the storage space for each user. I recalled Hotmail only provided each user 2MB of storage while Yahoo! gave 4MB.

It was in the early 2000s when digital cameras were becoming more mainstream, however, photo sharing services was relatively non existent. Unlike these days where we can use Facebook to share photos, back then, the more common method was email. And those photos, though low in resolution and in file size, can quickly fill up the 4MB mailbox.

I recalled having to delete emails, or sometimes, just the attachments to make space for more emails. Another way was to download the emails through a client such as Outlook, and then export the mailbox to PST.

Overtime, I find myself having many PSTs, and while I can open them again, having multiple PSTs opened in Outlook and all them named "Personal Folder" makes it difficult to search for anything. When I right click on the Personal Folder, there isn't a rename option. Clicking on "Data File Properties" will open the PST properties dialog, and under the "General" tab, I find the name of the PST "Personal Folder" greyed out.

If you want to rename it, you need to click through one more step, and that is, under "Advanced...". The "Outlook Data File" dialog will open, and now under the "General" tab, the Name: field is ungreyed and you can rename your PST into something more useful.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment