Thursday, July 26, 2018

Hard disk recovery solutions (Windows)

I've been having some issues with my NTFS drive, in particular a 3.5" Western Digital 2TB which I used as a boot disk with Windows 10. The hard drive failed for no reason one day, and this I found out after Windows refused to boot. Since then, I took it out to try to recover whatever data I can. Windows can't detect the NTFS partition and instead label it as RAW. I've tried using CHKDSK but it will stop after scanning the drive for a while.

Here are some of the tools which I used. As far as success rates go, I have yet to have any positive outcomes with these tools. I'm listing these here for anyone who is willing to try them out. You can let me know in your comments which of these worked better for you.

1. Wondershare RecoverIT (7.1.3)
Their free version allows you to recover up to 100MB, useful if you just need to retrieve a few important documents. Beyond that, you'll have to pay for the full version. This software managed to list down the files and folder in the TreeView, however for some reason, after leaving it to scan after a long while (few hours), the Tree View disappears and I'm just left with raw files without their names. I could not proceed with the recovery because I did not what these files are.
2. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free 12.0
According to their website, they said you can recover up to 2GB for free. I installed it, and scanned it. It listed a few files. When I tried to recover it, it said I needed to purchase the full version. Obviously I did not proceed with the purchase as it had trouble scanning and listing the files as well for me.

3. MiniTool® Power Data Recovery V8
 The free version allows you to recover up to 1GB. Again with all the other solutions, the software froze before the scanning could complete.

4. TestDisk
This requires the user to know how to use the command prompt as there isn't a GUI version. It seemed promising at first but after leaving it to scan for a few hours, I encountered an error and didn't bother to proceed. The good thing about this solution is that is freeware, although you can still donate if you find it useful.


At this juncture, I'm pretty much giving up on recovering my hard disk. This article serves more of a bookmark for me should I encounter another problem hard disk, and hopefully will have better luck with any of the solutions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment