Thursday, October 26, 2017

Outlook Mac 2016 (v16.7) High CPU Usage

Can't believe Outlook Mac kept giving me issues. This is the 2nd major one in a week.

Anyways, the issue was that after I did the previous fix (check out my previous post), Outlook was ok for a while. However, just after a couple of days using it, I noticed that it slowed down tremendously. Checking the Activity Monitor, it showed that Outlook was using up to 300% of the CPU resource. While I was still able to use it, it was terribly slow given that it was doing something heavy in the background.

Googling failed to come up with any solutions, apart from reinstalling everything. So I followed the instructions from this post:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1607887-outlook-for-mac-v15-22-high-cpu-usage

Here's the excerpt:

Description of issue:
Hello all,
Yesterday I updated my Office applications for my MacBook Pro (running OS 10.10.5) to the version 15.22. Ever since then, my Outlook application has been using pretty much all of my CPU resources. It doesn't happen right away, normally takes an hour or so for it to start hogging them all, but once it happens Outlook becomes unusable and I have to Force Quit everything. In Activity Monitor it's showing CPU usage at somewhere like 780%, which is just absolutely bonkers.
Is anyone else running into this issue with the Office update? I haven't seen this happen with any other Office apps, but to be fair I hardly use anything but Outlook. Would really appreciate any advice or tips you could throw my way

Solution:
The Microsoft rep was not able to help me with this issue, but the solution I found myself was just to uninstall and reinstall the Office 365 suite. To uninstall, I moved all Office programs to the Trash, emptied it, then navigated to ~\Library\Containers and then deleted all of the pertinent com.microsoft folders, as well as all Microsoft folders located in ~\Library\Group Containers (UBF8T346... etc). Then I reinstalled from my Office 365 login page, and have yet to reproduce the issue.
Hope that helps.

I did the above and reinstalled an older version (v15.39). That's fine by me cause at least it's usable again. Maybe it's time to turn off the Fast Insider updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment